Knowledgeable Car Accident Attorneys Serve Injury Victims Throughout Virginia
More than 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of our clients
If you or someone close to you has been involved in a car accident that was the fault of another driver, you may need to fight to get the compensation you need from the insurance companies or negligent parties. At The Law Office of Jeremiah A. Denton III, our experienced auto accident lawyers are passionate about representing injury victims throughout Virginia Beach and the surrounding areas. We keep you informed throughout the process of filing a claim, providing you with straightforward answers to your questions.
Common causes of auto accidents
According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, there were more than 120,000 car accidents in the commonwealth in 2013, with about 65,114 people injured. There are many different reasons why these crashes occur, but the following are the most common:
- Distracted driving. Texting while driving increases the likelihood of causing an accident, as responding to a text message takes an average of about five seconds. Other common distractions include loud passengers, food and adjusting the radio.
- Reckless driving. Speeding, weaving in and out of traffic and making quick turns are all dangerous driving behaviors. Other motorists can have a difficult time predicting the movements of reckless drivers.
- Driving while impaired. Operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated is extremely dangerous and drastically reduces a driver’s reaction time. More than 250 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes in 2013 alone.
- Inclement weather. Heavy rain and fog can make it difficult to see, which is why it’s important for motorists to slow down and exercise caution when driving in these conditions. Failing to do so could result in a serious crash.
- Auto defects. Defective or worn-out parts and equipment can fail without notice, causing a driver to lose control. Blown tires, the loss of power steering and engine failure are often at the root of lawsuits involving auto defects.
Our attorneys help you determine the cause of an accident and who is at fault. We fight for your right to just compensation for your injuries.
What if the other driver doesn’t have insurance?
Not all drivers and vehicles are covered by liability insurance in Virginia, as residents have the option of paying a $500 annual fee to the DMV instead. However, state law requires your own auto insurance policy to include uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage equivalent to the policyholder’s liability coverage limits, which will provide coverage to you even if the party at fault is uninsured.
If you suffer a personal injury in an accident with an uninsured driver, your insurance policy’s personal injury protection (PIP) coverage entitles you to recuperate the costs of your injuries. Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection fills any gap between that amount and your total medical bills and other expenses. In addition, you may need to file a personal injury claim against the at-fault individual directly to obtain the compensation you need.
Contact an experienced car accident lawyer today
After a serious auto accident, seek the guidance and advice of the skilled personal injury attorneys at The Law Office of Jeremiah A. Denton III in Virginia Beach. We work hard to maximize your recovery so you can successfully move on. To get started, call 757-215-4818 or contact us online.